Tuesday 4 December 2012

MK802 Project - NAS Assembly

Using some parts I had lying around, namely an external USB SATA HDD caddy, the HDD from my existing NAS and a few USB cables, I was able to assemble the MK802 NAS - Phase One:


This all runs using the single DC adapter for the external HDD caddy.  I am powering the MK802 using the first USB port on the HDD.  The second port has a second WiFi adapter plugged in, to allow me to bridge the WiFi interface that will run in AP mode on the MK802, with the existing WiFi router.  This will allow me to set up the device with access to the local network and internet (required for updating / downloading packages).  All of this is hooked up to the second USB port on the MK802, via the USB input on the HDD caddy, thus allowing the HDD caddy to act as a four port hub too.

The HDD caddy was purchased a few years back on Amazon for around £15 including delivery.  It has served me well and makes for a good hot-pluggable HDD caddy.

I have Debian running on the MK802 with a sunxi 3.0.36 kernel.  I will provide details on how to set up the MK802 with Debian using an SD card.

Related: MK802 Project - Heat sinks

9 comments:

  1. Nice project! I'm doing the same

    Are you using any ethernet adapter? or just wifi?
    it's run stable on file transfers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what it looks like now? Can you provide a link to the software used?
    I'm currently trying to do the same, to use the mk802 as a file and media server.

    Your help is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running a TP Link wifi adapter and a Belkin Wired USB adapter. There are wired adapters that use the Pegasus driver, but these don't work very well (poor throughput). The TP Link wifi adapter is very good and can achieve 300 Mbit/s throughput. It seems very stable with multiple devices connected to it. Currently, I have the playstation 3, laptop, PC and mobiles phones all sharing the hotspot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Please do could you publish a short guide how to install the software? THX

      Delete
    2. Sure. I'll publish something soon.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward and wait.

      Delete
    4. I have written a guide here. It links to another guide where you can obtain the Linux image. http://mud-slide.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/mk802-linux-debian-how-to.html

      Delete
  4. Ford Edge Titanium For Sale | Titanium Art
    The edge of raw titanium the titanium vs steel platinum is approximately 11.5cm by 17cm long with an indentation 피망 바카라 and is titanium body armor slightly microtouch titanium trim larger than the platinum found at the bottom, but more

    ReplyDelete